Saturday, November 28, 2009

New Technologies

My preconceived notions about eLearning were simple: learn Software X and you will be proficient. However, I have come to the realization that there will never be a Software X. Sad to say, but you simply simply cannot master one, two, or even ten programs and be an eLearning professional. The rapid evolution of technologies precludes this notion.
Browsing job postings, one comes across a myriad of different requisite software skills. I am certain that I am not the first to have to research the mystery software skill advertised. Technology is evolving so rapidly, that it seems impossible to keep up with some of the trends.
That being said, software is just a tool. The increasingly easy user interfaces (as well as background knowledge of the user) empowers almost every user to exploit them. Software seems to be becoming more and more democratic. Using it becomes simple.
So maybe at the end of the day knowing what to use when is perhaps the most important. You will never know it all. However, know how to access the tools you need as well as how to learn to use them. This will make you a true eLearning professional.

1 comment:

  1. Ben- so true! I've been in my role for ~4 years now, and when I started as a systems trainer it felt like every time I got settled and organized there was a new tool that fell on my plate. Once I began to accept and embrace it (opposed to the massive internal struggle I felt around not having a techie/programming background when we began creating our CBTs in-house... ) I've been looked to as a point person in my department for various e-learning resources. The tools are constantly changing and once I realized that was a major part of the job description - even though it was never articulated- I've been in a much happier place. Thanks for sharing as I can definitely relate to your post.

    ~shayna

    ReplyDelete