Saturday, November 21, 2009

Second Life

I decided to explore some game based learning tools and became a member of Second Life. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Second Life is a virtual reality simulator with stunning graphics and point of vision graphics.
I was very excited to explore the possibilities of this program and eagerly launched myself into it. However once online I perceived several fatal flaws to the learning process.
1. Very complicated to join and learn, the learning curve may be too great for average learner
2. Too many distractions, I found the graphics and interface would interfere with the learning experience. It was just too much.
3. Content was too open. While freedom of speech is always a welcome attribute, the blatant open sex practices on Second Life are too distracting to the learning process.
Above summarizes my opinions of the Second Life platform. Granted I have limited experience with it and would be open to explore more aspects of it.
What have your experiences been with Second Life?

2 comments:

  1. Ben- I was thinking about Second Life for my forum post- wish I read your blog first! I've heard such amazing thing about it from a learning perspective. I question what you have for #3 as well...once avatars and alternative personalities are created, people are certainly more open to saying and writing things that wouldn't be acceptable in a standard classroom. I'm teetering between the fine line of wanting to experiment with the software but not wanting to open up myself to the risks. Interested in hearing what others in the class are thinking...

    ~shayna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben and Shayna, I'm with both of you on this one; it is going to take a while for the waters to clear. I have the same issue that Shayna has with opening oneself to the risks. However, the more I think about it, the fact that you are using an avatar, and that you could use a different you for the interaction, opens up the possibilities. For example, it wouldn't be me who's being harrassed or attacked, but my alter ego; however, it would still be me learning....
    Domingo

    ReplyDelete