Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My Learning Paradigm

In my learning, I tend to gravitate towards connectivism. We live in an information overloaded society. Knowing how to access quality sources and weed out the clutter is of paramount importance. When I was a child, I loved spending hours in the library reading. My favorite books were encyclopedias. I remember wandering through article after article and getting giddy with joy after seeing a particularly interesting diagram. I realized at a young age that even if I had completely read every encyclopedia, there would still be information out there that I needed or wanted to know. As an undergraduate, I studied French Literature. At first I found myself overwhelmed by the amount of articles written about any given work. I developed a method of finding what was most relevant by surveying the bibliographies of a number of articles and looking for common sources, I would then concentrate my efforts on the most referenced items. This was during the time when most references were not published on the internet and I had to manually browse through index cards, microfiche, and the like.
Fortunately, today this method of research and learning has been greatly facilitated by the availability of online resources. Now I simply browse Web2.0 products such as blogs, YouTube, Wikipedia and the like. I can now follow a reference at the click of a link and determine whether or not the information is relevant to me or not. The very reason that I am completing this certificate program is that I browsed several LinkedIn profiles of training professionals and found that many had attended this program.
That being said, I do not feel that connectivism works in every situation. In a previous training engagement, I was a flight attendant instructor. In this safety critical position, we had to rely on good old fashioned behaviorism. There is no way a flight attendant can be trained to open a door in an emergency by browsing YouTube. This would be the result:
In summary, I believe the learning paradigm needs to be adapted to the learner and learning object. The instructor must be attuned to the learner's needs and flexible enough to adapt an a case by case basis. Having a solid foundation in all of these paradigms will allow the instructor select the most appropriate delivery method.

2 comments:

  1. Ben, if anything we have the access to so much information (accurate, inaccurate, and the entire range in between!), that it is a challenge to even know what to do with the 800,000 items that appear with any given search. This is one of the biggest challenges, I believe, when we navigate through content that is entirely new to us. That is part of the challenge (and excitement!) you seem to have now. It is an exciting time . . .

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ben,

    Very interesting blog entry! I have not been able to sort the connections I made between the ideas you wrote and the thoughts they provoked in me...

    This is going to be broad, but if I am to try - You described how you access quality resources differently then and now. I wonder what effect that type of change has on us as a society. Connectivism also seem to suggest that 'what must be learned is determined by others and is continually changing' (TPOL, p.19-20). How much of the learning will be machine-driven? Will there be a time when substance, and not procedural/technical changes in the use of a given machine (if I use the eaxmple in the textbook), would originate from a machine rather than humans?

    Now I am really confused! I would like to pay more attention to what's happening in the online world.

    Thank you,
    Akiko

    ReplyDelete