Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The night before

Thanks for stopping by my blog for detailing my journey through the Principles & Practices of Online Course Creation & Instructional Design Course. Boy, that's a mouthful. It's 1:30am the night before the first class, I have just finished the required readings and reviewed the revised syllabus. My first reactions to the readings were:
  1. I need to brush up on pedagogical theory.
  2. It sounded like Web 2.0 hype was still very new when the texts were written (I think in a large part the Web 2.0 has already been assimilated in many domains.
  3. What the heck is an Advance Organizer? http://wik.ed.uiuc.edu/index.php/Advance_organizers (I think I will try KWL in my next class!)
  4. The texts seemed to be very precursory, I hope we go into a little more detail in class.
I suppose now is the time for me to list some of my needs and expectations for the class. I am sure I will revise them as we go along.
  1. I want to learn easy ways to facilitate online collaboration
  2. I want to learn online evaluation techniques in the absence of an LMS
  3. I want to identify technologies and software that I need to learn in order to advance my career in Training
  4. I need to learn the specifics of ID as it pertains to the online world
  5. I want to know what SCORM is and how to design SCORM compliant materials
  6. I want to be able to add items to this list for future (or current) study that I am currently unaware or ignorant of.
Here is a list of the concerns that I bring to the class. By mentioning them of the bat, I hope I will be able to manage them and not let them get in the way of my success. (I'm really into making lists tonight!)
  1. My schedule: I have many commitments and I hope I will be able to manage my time
  2. My lack of experience in e-learning: I hope I will find enough material to make this class relevant.
  3. My limited experience in curriculum design: same as above
  4. My limited exposure to the corporate training world: same as above
  5. I guess I have to get over my feeling of "impostorship" (for those who read The Skillful Teacher by Brookfield, you know what I mean)
Well, that's all for tonight. I look forward to class tomorrow, and hope I can jump in at 7:30 sharp.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you have jumped in so fully and so quickly, Ben. With such a thought-out list(s), it would be surprising that you even need a class at all; often being able to articulate very precisely what you do not know, indicates that you already know more than you realize.

    Hope the class meets some of your needs and expectations (and the rest can be worked out in the projects and flexible team presentations)!

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete